Re: [APD] Potassium Permanganate

>Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 07:26:11 -0400
>From: William Wells <wwells1 at concentric_net>
>Subject: Re: [APD] Potassium Permanganate
>To: donhellen at horizonview_net,	aquatic plants digest
>	<aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
>Donald Hellen wrote:
>

>>> Has anyone here had experience with potassium
>>> permanganate used as a disinfecting dip for aquatic
>>> plants?
>>>
>>> Is it safer than a chlorine dip at 20:1 for a minute or
>>> two or is it about the same?
>>>

>I have used potassium permanganate in the past.  It is milder than a
>Clorox dip. I can leave the plants soak for 10 min without any problems.
>  This is with enough potassium permanganate to give the water a purple
>tint, not so much that you can't see through the water.
>
>Later,
>Bill

As I understand them, they work in exactly opposite ways.

Chlorine "digests" proteins and other organic substances, breaking them
down into their constituent parts, while KMNO4 is a tanning agent, that
cross links the molecules, making big ones out of littler ones.

HTH

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net  760 937-2276 (cell) 760 874-2000 (CA) or 941 866-0500 (FL).

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
Ansel Adams

http://www.self-gov.org/wspq.html