From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2006 11:46:40 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

> http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1142688/algae.jpg
>
> I would very much like to make any corrections, additions, or
> whatever
> to make this more accurate - for my use primarily, but for
> anyone
> else's use that desires.
>
> Vaughn H.

Might be okay for a general book etc.
But it's still very general.

I'm wary of general advice, as it often is too general, there's
a trade off there.

If you have seen many of my post, sometimes it's a longer
process to find the source, some other issues occured and where
fixed along the way.

The issue with many species of algae revolve around the overall
nutrition that is supplied for the plants.
If that is optimized, we seldom have algae issues.

That can be generalized easily.
Good nutrient ranges can be generalized.
but...... plants do adapt to different nutrient routines.

I'd suspect no less from the algae once they are established.

BGA: label the genus at least, add Eythromyacin for a cure as
well, old substrate, dirty filters: clean/vacuum both

BBA: Non Stable CO2 is more likely an apt reason for BBA, say
5-20ppm range. Bobbing between these two messes with the plants,
they will grow some, BBA will really grow well agressively
though. It backs off and does not grow well at high CO2 or at
absent CO2 dosing(eg, a non CO2 enriched tank). I've never had
BBA in a non CO2 planted tanks ever come to think of it.

GW: While NH4+ may cause it, NH4 can come from Jobnes, large
disturbances to the substrate and not followed by a large water
change etc, new fiolter, no mulm or cycling allowed/+ not enough
plants from the initial start up phase(A huge huge issue for
most people)and general good care when the tank is new for the
plants. Add Diatom/UV for the cures.

GSA check, give species name

Staghorn, give species name, also disturbing substrate without
subsequent water change, too high a bioload etc.

Hair algae is more like higher plants. I';ve had an easy time
inducing it by reducing/elimitating diosing in high light, well
adapted rich nutrient tanks. The adaptation of the plants is a
large role here, it's much more along the lines of plant =plant
interactions, but poor CO2 does really help establishment and
persistence. There are no less than C, V, O, S, D, R these are
the first letters of the genera, so no less than six and the
worse are the S and C.

You also need to make a herbivore listing for solutions but also
make the point they are just icing on the cake, not really a
long term solution as better plant health/growth is really what
we are trying to achieve and the algae are a sign that things
can definitely be improved for the plants nutrition wise.

If you like algae in nature, come to the plant fest and see the
weeds and the algae. I'll point it out to you both in the marine
or FW systems.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com