Re: [APD] P. Denisonii

Beth, 90 gal would be sort of small IMO. A 125 barely keeps 4 of
them when they are full grown.

People see these fish all small, much like red tail
cats....."Oh..... they are sooo cute!" then later when they are
full size, they either jump out, beat the heck out themselves
etc or are way too cramped. But there are definite aesthetics
issues as well, not just ethetical ones and health later on.

If folks plan on having several, you really need an appropriate
tank for them when they are 6-8 inches long and have a school of
6.

So that's no less than 125-150 gal and better yet, 180-240 gal
tank sizes so you can keep other fish and so they look best.

People simply do not realize these are large very fast fish when
they are adults. Yuo see how fast they are now, wait till you
see them fully grown.

These are ____not____ small schooling fish!!!!!!!!

Large fish need a large tank, it makes the aesthetics of the
tank look bad when you have large fish in a small tank,
essentially it makes your tank look smaller than it is.
Folks concerned with the scape should really consider this as
most want to create a large space within a small space, adding
large fish ruins this entire aesthetic. 4 full grown Discus in a
55 gal tank looks bad. Nor is a nice home for the fish. Even a
180 is small by comparison many would argue and they'd be right.

It's good for the livestock, providing a nice place for the fish
over the entire life of the animal, not just when they are cute
babies.

A LFS has 4 adults here in the Bay area in a 125, they are
actually quite cramped and you can see them flying out of the
tank if they got the chance. These are not even fully grown yet
also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

> Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 11:33:04 -0500
> From: "Beth Lang" <lang510 at comcast_net>
> Subject: [APD] Do's & Dont's for P. Denisonii
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> These fish are wonderful.  I have four of them and they school
> very closely
> together so I would suggest getting at least three of them.
are very fast, especially at meal time.