Re: [APD] Keeping, breeding and raising Cherry

I'm keeping my Cherry Shrimp in two 10 gal tanks with
small gravel (2mm), a 3" ball of crushed coral
w/aragonite in pantyhose (I have very soft water and
shrimp need some Ca for molting), and an internal pump
covered with a layer of fliter floss (you don't want
the baby shrimp to get sucked up into the intake).  I
alternate feeding them shrimp pellets and vegitable
pellets.  I keep the temp under 78 degrees.  They are
breeding like crazy. I use these breeding tanks to
supply my planted 225 gal tank.  They really do take
care of eating any algae that makes the mistake of
appearing.
My suggestions concerning your setup are as follows:
1. Cover the intake of your HOB filter with filter
floss or a sponge.
2. Add some crushed coral w/ aragonite if you have
soft water.
3. Keep the temperature under 78 degrees. 76 is ideal
(promotes breeding).
4. Keep it a Cherry Shimp species only tank if you
want to have babies (a lot of fish eat shrimp and baby
shrimp are irresitable).

Note: Some people recommend adding iodine to the
water.
I do not add any iodine.  They seem to get everything
they need from the pellets.

Good luck,

Brian