Re: [APD] lighting on the cheap

Eli, I don't think I have yet seen a screw in fluorescent bulb with a
85 watt rating.  The biggest I have seen are some monsters, with
mushroom shape, made for photography, but I don't recall them being as
big as 85 watts.  If that type is what you are thinking about, it would
probably work as pendant lights if you used good reflectors made for
the bulbs, and those are available too.  (But, I recall the cost for
even one such combination being almost the full $80 you mentioned.)
I suggest, as I always do, that you look at AH Supply light kits -
three 96 watt kits would work very well I would think, and you could
make the housing for them pretty cheaply.

Vaughn H.