Re: [APD] Hemianthus callitrichoides

On 3/20/06, Mariano F. Bonfante <mariano_bonfante at hotmail_com> wrote:

> I was suggested to add a plain sand layer in the rooting area, only few
> millimeter high, to make it easer for the plant to attach. But I am afraid
> that using sand will block water in the bottom, rotting the substrate.
> There
> is also available a courser sand, with1 millimeter diameter average.

I have HC planted in fine sand.  (I have Malaysina trumpet snails in the
tank, too, and no problems.)  The HC still comes loose.  I have some planted
in a nanotank with only shrimp and thus far it has stayed in the substrate.

I don't think HC is practical in most tanks.  Other people have other
thoughts on this.  Frankly, I think it looks *much* better in the nanotank
(10" x 8" x 8") where it is in scale.

--
Liz
http://pottedliz.home.comcast.net