Re: [APD] New to keeping plants.

 See >>>comments below:.

----- Original Message ----
From: Frank I. Reiter <Frank at WonderAndLight_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:01:57 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] New to keeping plants.

I'm just returning to aquatic gardening after a few years away from it,
and trying to figure out what has changed in the state of the art.  I
see that laterite is now available quite cheaply.  Are folks still using
PMDD?

I found one site selling bags of flourite for a bottom layer of
the substrate.  Is that commonly used these days?

 Heating cables still
in favour?

They are still available and still one of the most expensive ways to heat an aquarium with a ready-made heater. There's no evidence that they hurt anything, are arguably slightlly more energy efficient in an aquarium with very little water circulation to disrupt convention currents in the tank, and a nice gizmo for gadget freeks.

have gizmos, have plants, have fun,
sh