Re: [APD] Cloudy water

I believe Mike Smith wrote this email section below:

> I drained about 75% of the water. I
> normally drain this much and sometimes more because as I said, the tank

75% water change? You heard of Osmotic pressure and the damage it does?

> is often neglected. It is not unusual for this tank to go 3 weeks or more
> without a water change, or cleaning of the filters. ( 2 Emperor 400's )

A lot of us change 25% water ever 2 or 3 weeks. Not usually.

> After refilling the tank, I cleaned the Emperors and got them running
> minus their cartridges.

No idea what an Emperor 400 is.
What happened to the old foam filters filled with your good bacteria?

> Eager to clear up the tank, I again drained at
> least 75% of the water. Worthy of note, neither this time or the time
> before did I use any kind of water conditioner.
> Indeed, I have never used
> a conditioner when changing water in this tank.

You're joking right?
Or are you blessed with water with no Chlorine or Chloramine in it in your area?

> After filling the tank, I
> again cleaned the Emperors and placed brand new cartridges in both. Much
> to my surprise, the cloudiness has persisted.

 > As I'm writing this, I remember that during the water change after
 > which all this unpleasantness arose, I did a deep vac of the gravel
 > for the first time in recent memory. ( my memory sucks

Ok, you've not said how big your tank is. But I guess its around 200Litres
or more?

You did do a basic beginners water test when you saw the cloud?

You know, test for the presence of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.?

Cause it sounds to me like, because you've removed the good brown slimy
bacteria from your filters and from the substrate, you've given the tank and
the fish a good big kiss goodbye to their way to Heaven?
:-)

And you say you've got Ich?

Blimey!

--