In remote sensing and terrestrial agriculture, hyperspectral imagery as
well as laser induced fluorescence has been used as indicators of crop
health.  The plants will demonstrate stress through the hyperspectral
signature .  Using a single band, or color imagery it _might_ be possible,
but it may be difficult to control everything.  For example, as we all know
water absorbs light very well, in many wavelengths.  The content of the
water will also change those absorption bands, and that may lead a single
band measurement (eg IR) to vary even in the absence of plant
fluctuations.  If you have a hyperspectral web cam, then I know algorithms
and tools could be developed.  For single band, either IR or color, I doubt
that there will be enough information to allow for accurate determination
of plant stress before we can note it visually.