From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2006 9:40:17 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] on that nitrate..

Eli Moss wrote:
> Yeah, a denitrifying filter is a bit impractical.  I still do have a problem
> with nitrate, though.  I feed sparingly, yet it seems to skyrocket easily.
> The fish load is pretty modest, too.  I don't have any problems with algae,
> but plant growth is still relatively leisurely.  I've got 80 watts and 10
> hours per day of fluorescent shoplight over 40 gallons, with DIY co2 and
> weekly Yamato Green.  What can I do to accelerate growth?  PMDD is an
> option, but anything less time-consuming would be wonderful.  I am not
> exactly leisurely at the time being.  Any fert brands recommended?

I had good success with Tropica Master-Gro. It isn't sold in the United
States as far as I know, but you can order it from Big Al's
(http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28645;category_id=3349;pcid1=;pcid2=)
and they ship it to the U.S.

I was running 220W over a 75G and I ran into problems with a nitrogen
shortage fairly quickly. The algae came. Soon after adding nitrate and
phosphates the algae left.

You didn't say what level of CO2 you have in the tank.

--
Jerry Baker