Hi Joel,

We add CO2 for the plants to grow better, rather than some
specific pH(pH is not a nutrient FYI). Many non plant folks add
pH buffers to control pH(I'm not sure why, most fish don't care
with proper care and maintenance). But changing the pH with
buffers does not add more CO2.

If you want more CO2, then add that, not a pH buffer.

It's a somewhat deceptively simple concept.
Need more CO2? Add more CO2 gas.

> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:59:52 -0800
> From: "Joel Fizette" <sentientpuppet at gmail_com>
> Subject: [APD] phosphates and co2 table
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> And the CO2 / KH / pH relationship is
> only valid in
> a system that is buffered by Carbonates."
> Is this true?

Yes, see above.

can someone explain this to me? I don't
> understand... since
> I'm using Seachem's Neutral regulator which is phosphate
> based, The whole CO2
> / KH / pH relationship is invalid and I have no way to measure
> my co2 level
> now?

Yes, add more CO2, do not add neutral regulator.
You only need to ever add nutrients or baking soda(raises KH).
A KH or 2 or higher is plenty. Check the tap water, most likely
it's higher or maybe around that level.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com