[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [APD] Help me prevent a fatal accident or injury


I am not an electrician but I speak to the one at work here often. He has 
wired electronic ballasts for me for my tanks. He does use a special wire 
for fluorescent ballasts. Go to an electrical supply house and ask them for 
the proper wire. You really are making a mistake just using extension cords 
to wire the ballasts. I can ask our electrician tomorrow what type wire you 
need if you list the information on the ballast and socket. I don' t know if 
there is other information I need. If you want me to call you with it, send 
a private email with the phone number and the best time to call. I am in NJ 
and at work till 4:30 PM. The electrician is gone now.

Jerry Smith

>Message: 3
>Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:17:16 -0800
>From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
>Subject: Re: [APD] Help me prevent a fatal accident or injury
>To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>Gordon McLellan wrote:
> > I believe the 300V rating is the 'breakdown voltage' of the
> > insulations dielectric properties - by exceeding this voltage the
> > insulator becomes a conductor.  The amount or thickness of the
> > insulation probably has some bearing on this, but I don't think it
> > matters very much, as
> > I have a set of volt meter probes with 1000V insulation on them, and
> > the insulation itself is not very thick.
>Hmm. Well, I can't find anything rated for that high of a voltage. I did
>find something on the ballast that suggests using 1.2kV rated wire, but
>there must be some specific way to denote that in the industry that
>isn't called "rating" because when I look that up I find nothing.
>Jerry Baker

Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com