Re: [APD] Don't Drink Distilled Water [SAFETY] (was "Storing large amounts of RO water")

> Charley Bay wrote:
> > The official name for the medical condition is
> > hyponatremia (common name "water intoxication").
> > You can get it just by drinking (too much) regular
> > water.  You get it faster by drinking distilled
> > water.

Jerry responded:
> True, but it's a matter of degree. It's like saying
> that a slug is faster than a snail. If you had to
> drink 6 liters of "average" tap water to cause
> electrolyte imbalance you would have to drink
> somewhere around 5.6 liters of deionized/distilled
> water.

<sigh>, math is cool, but:

* your numbers are guesses
* your numbers aren't relevant since lots of things
are going on

I recall someone on the APD recently comment
something about, "only knows enough chemistry to
get [oneself] into trouble".

For example, unlike tap water, distilled water
tends to absorb CO2 from the air, quickly going
acidic.  Yes, drinking soda (carbonic acid) isn't
all that good for you either.

The EPA comments, "Distilled water, being essentially
mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to
dissolve substances with which it is in contact."

(They don't say that about tap water.)

Long-term mineral loss and decalcification is
associated with people that drink distilled water.
That's true even if you supplement with minerals.

So again, here we are:

* You shouldn't smoke, but some people do and don't
get cancer.  (I don't care if you smoke or not.)

* You should take a daily multi-vitamin, but your
cause of death won't explicitly be "because he didn't
take a daily multi-vitamin".

* If your diet compensates, you can ingest all kinds
of weird stuff.

* Distilled water isn't good for you, although if
your tap water has lead, parasites, and carcinogens,
you can make a choice (but RO or something else is
smarter than distilled).

Oh, hey-- Here's even a quack that agrees, tying
long-term consumption of distilled (or very soft
water) to cardiovascular disease and other symptoms
normally associated with aging:

<http://www.ionizers.org/distilled_water.html>

An excerpt:

---"
The longer one drinks distilled water, the more
likely the development of mineral deficiencies
and an acid state. I have done well over 3000 mineral
evaluations using a combination of blood, urine and
hair tests in my practice. Almost without exception,
people who consume distilled water exclusively,
eventually develop multiple mineral deficiencies.

Those who supplement their distilled water intake
with trace minerals are not as deficient but still
not as adequately nourished in minerals as their
non-distilled water drinking counterparts even after
several years of mineral supplementation.
"---

--charley