Re: [APD] Don't Drink Distilled Water [SAFETY] (was "Storing large amounts of RO water")

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:27:39 -0000, Stuart Halliday <stuart at stuarthalliday_com> wrote:

> I believe Dave Engle wrote this email section below:
>>> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:53:07 -0800
>>> From: "Liz Wilhite" <satirica at gmail_com>
>>> Subject: Re: [APD] Don't Drink Distilled Water [SAFETY] (was "Storing
>>> large amounts of RO water")
>>
>>> Just give it the "internet sniff test" and see if thise idea passes.
>>

>> This is an excellent time to remind everyone of the dangers of dihydrogen
>> monoxide:
>>
>> http://www.dhmo.org/
>
> It's very funny.
>
> But calling it an acid is a bit over the top. ;-)

It is an acid though... pH 7 isn't really neutral, it's just a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (well, hydroxonium ions :p ) in pur(ish) water (it being difficult to measure the pH of pure water).
It's also an alkali for extra fun :)
For an example of water acting as an acid, add some aluminium chloride to water. This is (I think) water acting an acid.
For another example, a little closer to aquatic plants :), when ammonia is dissolved in water, the water donates a proton to the ammonia to form the ammonium ion - this is water acting as an acid.
Equally, adding a substance such as HCl (not really an acid until dissolved) to water causes the water to form hydroxonium ions by accepting the H+ proton from the HCl. This is water acting as a base (incidentally, it is the hydroxonium ion that is then the strong acid, and the chloride ion is actually a very weak base).

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.