[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [APD] Help me prevent a fatal accident or injury

I second Scott's caution and further extend it.

The voltage between bulb and ballast may exceed the insulation of a
standard extension cord as well.   Although those extension cords may
be rated at 1650+ watts, the breakdown voltage of the insulation may
only be 300v ... so any voltage exceeding that number is likely to
tunnel through, regardless of the currents involved.

I don't recall what voltage an MH bulb operates at, it may very well
be quite low after it is started, but I think electronic ballasts use
a high voltage pulse to start the bulb - that pulse may eventually
cause the insulation in your extension cords to fail.

Since you've already spent some bucks on extension cords, I think
labeling them is your best precaution.   And when they are not plugged
in, thread a zip tie through the blades (if there's no hole, drill a
small one), so it cannot be plugged in - attach another label to the
zip tie.


On 2/26/06, S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:
> This is all rated for low voltage, which might work fine onthe high voltage between ballast and light, but it probably would be best if the plugs were rated for the application voltage or higher. I'm jsut guessing that's in excess of 600VAC.
> sh

Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com