Re: [APD] Vol 30, Issue 18 (Lowering KH with Acid)

Hi Tom.  Thank you for providing those links.  Let's see if I can
adequately convey my confusion.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200005/msg00247.html

Mr. Sear's response was to the "Carbo Plus" inquiry that for one
reason or another got stuck in the "Lowering KH with H2SO4" thread.
Therefore, his chemical equation is of no relevance to our discussion.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200010/msg00635.html

Mr. Sears noted that HCl can produce a "substantial" rise in CO2
concentration.  He advises Mr. Kutz to continue adding more HCl to
further reduce his KH.  He goes on to suggest an alternative that RO
water can be used if Mr. Kutz doesn't want to keep adding HCl.  I
don't see how this is an advice that using a strong acid is bad.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9809/msg00248.html

I didn't see anything about "why" a strong acid shouldn't be use.  It
only contains, "Don't use it because fish can die."  Sure, but I am
very interested in the "how".

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9810/msg00078.html

This post references a "pH crash" as a potential problem when all the
KH is consumed.  This is why we have formulas to determine how much of
the acid to add in order to reduce KH down to a certain level.  After
all, RO water also has 0 KH.  It is not exempted from this "pH crash".
RO users add tap water or other chemicals in order to bring back KH.
IF an acid user overdoses, then s/he can also add these same
chemicals.  I fail to see how this is problem that is unique to the
acid user.

http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/month.200205/msg00080.html

Mr. Huntley advises against using HCl to "lower pH" probably because
of the time involved.  Lowering pH is not our goal.  Then he cites the
ubiquitous "pH crash" along with the "pH myth".  Both points I
addressed either above or in another post.  Is he also against using
it for lowering KH?  I do not see any indications of that.  I hope Mr.
Huntley is reading this and would chime in with his expertise.

>My question to you is: why can you ___not use RO__?

Foremost, curiosity because like I said: my tap water is very "good"
(0 dGH/dKH). :)  Second, because if a strong acid can easily and
safely remove KH then it is as easy if not easier and less expensive
to use than a RO unit.

As far as I see it, the only true drawback is the safe handling of the
acid instead of any other "problems".  But products like dilute acid
available in the market in both liquid and dry forms being sold
over-the-counter make "safety" almost a non-issue.

- cS -