Re: [APD] green water in new tank

UV or diatom filter tration will clean the water very quickly. As far started it, you could be over fertilized with the soil and the added ferts and no routine dosing pattern. But if the plants start working and the soil isn't disturbed, the filtration might clean it and clear it up.

sh

----- Original Message ----
From: James H <spreerider at gmail_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:00:36 PM
Subject: [APD] green water in new tank

Hi,
I set up a planted tank and its had horrible greenwater for over a month so
i figure that its not just new tank green anymore and i should try to do
something about it.
specs are
25g
2X36W CF 6700K and 10000K
only filter is a powerhead with a sponge.
i have diy co2 but i dont think this is working verywell i think there may
be a leak in the system so im going to reseal it.
the tank is heavily planted with lots of pennywort hygro tiger lotus and
corkscrew vals.
i used shultz aquatic plant soil with fine gravel overtop of it.
i ran out of phosphate and nitrate test kit so when i get new ones... as
soon as my lfs orders them for me... i will test but historicaly this tank
has had high phosphate and lower nitrates.
i dose ppmd mostly but i add potassium nitrate and trace as well,
i dont realy follow a regieme excpet i dose about the same as my angelfish
tank that has a bit lower lighting and more plants and that tank grows great
with greenwater only if i dig up some plants to put in different ones.
please advise me on how to get rid of this wate rso i can see my fish.