Re: [APD] [Off-Topic] Supplementing Electricity with Solar

Sorry...here's the whole thread:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?p=57300#post57300

Post 14 is where explanations get started.

Bottom line, you'd need to spend a couple thousand for the inverter, and
a couple hundred for each panel.  The panels supply DC to the inverter.
The inverter is tied in to your service panel.  If you produce less than
you need the power meter will turn slower (because you're producing at
least SOMETHING).  If you produce more than you need at that moment in
time, the meter will turn backward.  Then, when you stop producing, it
starts turning forward again.

Is it expensive?  Depends on your goals.  Do I run the A/C more?  You
bet.  And the hot tub.  And about 280 watts of lights over 3 tanks and a
miniature rose :)  And whatever else...

--Mike

--
Mike Szilard