From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:58:55 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Aromat Ballasts Arrived

S. Hieber wrote:
> Actually not current per se, but an imbalance in the flow in Hot and Neutral. Since Hot and Neutral are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, if a sensor coil is put around them, no current will flow in the coil -- the hot and neutral, being equal energy, cancel out the field. But if imbalanced, current is induced in the sensor coil.
>
> The Neutral Ground fault requires an additional energized coil to induce current in the hot and neutral before the sensor coil. If there's no leak, there's no flow induced in the Hot and Neutral since both are inside the same energized coil.

OK. I think we're talking about different things. I think you are
talking about a device plugged into a GFCI with neutral and ground mixed
up. In that case you will have a neutral-ground fault and trip the GFCI.
What I am speaking of is upstream from the GFCI outlet. Where the
neutral from the breaker box is attached to the ground on the GFCI
socket, and the ground from the earth is attached to the neutral socket.
There's no way to detect that that I can see, unless you test for a
circuit between the neutral wire at the breaker and the neutral wire at
the socket, but the GFCI can't do that. Am I missing something? Both
wires lead to the ground, so there's no way to differentiate between
them without actually testing from the breaker box.