From: Gordon McLellan <gordonthree at gmail_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:15:42 AM
Subject: Re: [APD] Securing Tanks for Earthquakes

Jerry,

That sounds like an interesting idea, giant rubber bands!

I think the engineering term for it is "elastometric" ... I've only
seen it used in very small scale applications; isolation of a dvd
video recorder in the trunk of a police car, and smaller yet; the hard
drives inside my "low noise" computer case... but perhaps it can be
scaled up.

One big question is, how do you test that solution?  Maybe someone on
the list works in a a university with a seismic research lab, and
could put a 10 gal fish tank on a stand, with rubber bands to the
walls, for their next shake down test?

The other thing, those rubber tie-downs seem to be really fragile ...
the work OK for a few months, and then the rubber dries up or
something, and next thing you know, its snapped or crumbling in your
hands.  Perhaps its because I buy the cheapest ones I can, or maybe
its just a flaw common to all of them.  So would it become another
maintenance task to inspect, retension and replace those straps every
few months?

Gordon