Re: [APD] My tank water doesn't match the tap water

It isn't possible to heat the sand above 220 F or so while it is in
water, and silica forms take something like 4000 F to melt.  So,
whatever you are seeing being melted, it isn't the sand itself.  Maybe
there is a wax coating on the sand?

My KH out of my tap is low - about 2 degrees as I recall, so I add
baking soda to raise it.  Your hardness is a whole different thing
beyond my experience.  And, I don't remember reading anything about
just how much CO2 can be in tap water, just that it isn't a trivial
amount.

Vaughn H.