From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com] On Behalf Of
Thomas Barr
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:04 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Re: [APD] Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 29, Issue 53

>    1. As my plants are still not growing rapidly, won' t trimming all
> the
>    leaves give a chance to the algae to spread prolifically?

Well, you need to address why the plants are not growing to begin with,
which is what I've suggested.
Poor plant growth=> algae.

You fix the plant issue, you fix the algae issue.
You/many folks might think your plants are growing fine etc, but they really
need to take off before you really see the difference in how slow they are
growing.

I often to refer to most plants as "weeds", that is because given a happy
home, they really do grow very fast, even the hard to grow ones.

>    2. As all the leaves are more or less affected with Hair Algae, if
> at
>    all I go for trimming, I will have to remove almost 90% of all the
> leaves.

If it's hair algae, you should be able to pick it off manually.
Correcting the CO2 should slow it down enough to get ahead and control it
for good.

Amano shrimp are very good for this, SAE's sometimes.
See Peter's post, that was a good run down for preening and picking every so
often.

> Under these circumstances please advice as to what is to be done.

> Regards,
> Saugata

Focus on the plant's health,
Our hobby is not based of killing algae, it's based on having nice planted
tanks, so the plants should be the focus.
All planted tanks have some commonalities, the focus on the plant's health
is certainly one of them. All planted tanks also have to supply enough
nutients for a given light intensity for the plant's growth rate, if there
are not enough nutrients to sustain the plants, algae sure can grow there.

It does take some work to get rid of the algae, but....with good plant
growth conditions, this only last 1-3 weeks if you are doing it right. So
you work hard to get the algae removed and get over the hump, correct plant
growth issues, then the tank stabilizes and requires much less work, but you
still need to be consistent with pruning, dosing, water changes etc.

Less light makes it easier for folks using CO2.
But........most folks get too much light and think more light is better,
that is not true, although I've been saying this for many years, no one
seems to listen:(

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com