From: "Jerry Baker" <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Aromat Ballasts

> S. Hieber wrote:
> > High frequency doesn't improve the efficiency the way is
can with fluorescents, so you don't see many electronic
ballasts except to handle the starting and control the
wattage as the bulb ages. Other than that, they are very
simple devices -- a starter or starter circuit, capacitor
and coil with multiple windings. No reason these things
can't be made to last many years. It's those coils that get
costly, the circuits are cheap once they are massed
produced. I wonder why they don't put inverter cirucits in
the ballast, raising the freqs, so that smaller, relatively
less expensive coils could be used, avoiding flicker, and
audible noise from the ballast???? Perhaps, without the
efficiency improvements, the market isn't driven in that
directdion. Perhaps the Co8ils need to be large due to the
relatively high current levels (compared to fluorescents) so
there is less reason to try to make them small.

> Well, once I get them I will report on their actual
performance