From: Joe Wunsch <wunsch4 at tricot_mgacoxmail.com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:36:45 PM
Subject: [APD] Fish Kill

I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 watts per gallon light for 14 hours per day,
running a co2 injection system with ph controller. PH 7.0, KH 7.3 (13) doing
20% water changes each week. Tank temperature is 80 degrees. The city water
has a 3 DH. I have to add Bicarbonate each week to keep the ph above 7.0.
Tank has been set up for 6 months on co2 injection with about 40 fish mostly
barbs, rasbora, angels. Tank is heavily planted with Amazon swords, large
leaf hydro, crypts, and I use some hornwort to control algae, as it seems to
suck up the extra nutrients. Plants are very healthy, fish have had no
problems. I use the PMDD every other day. This morning tank had 3 dead tiger
barbs and the rest of fish were at the top gasping. Why all of a sudden the
lack of oxygen?  Did a 20% water change right away to get oxygen level back
up everything seems fine. Are the plants using up that much oxygen at night?
Or did the fish load catch up to me? Any suggestions as to why this
happened?