Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:17:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at yahoo_com>
Subject: Re: [APD] BGA
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

If you search my name and BGA and blackoutm you will find many post on many
forums and list.

  You need NO3 if plan on using CO2 in plant tanks.
  Assuming the test kit is correct, 0ppm NO3 is a dead ringer for BGA.

  It's not light, it'll grow better with more is all.
  But here's a cook book method that does get rid of it in long term(solves
why you got it in the first place):

  If you catch it early, you never have to do it, simply suck it up and
irritate it, water change, then add KNO3.

If you got it bad, then the 3 day blackout.

Beforehand, get all of it off you can, clean filters, vac up old substrates
if gooey, you have not done it in a long time time etc, 50% or even more if
you want water change, then blackout(cover the tank!!!! so that no light
gets in at all) for 3 days and add the KNO3(1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal).
Turn CO2 off, aerate or increase circulation.
  I suggest a couple of black trash bags for a cover, cheap and blocks the
light well.

Remove cover, add light back, do another 50% water change, add KNO3 back and
then there after(2x a week for most tanks or 3x for higher light/less fish
etc), keep filters clean regularly. Remove extra circulation, add CO2 back,
if you have plants at or near the surface, trim them back prior to any of
this.

That is pretty much it.
Most failures are from: not doing the full 3 days, not covering the tank so
that no light at all gets in(not simply turnin gthe light off, the tank does
need covered), not adding the KNO3, during or after.

Some use the Antibiotics in conjunction or with the KNO3 so that it does not
come back.

Either method works but the KNO3 and dirt issues where never addressed with
the pills, the blackout helped to find the long term cure, thus no need for
drugs thereafter.

Some clients don't want to do the blackout, so I had no choice, but I prefer
the blackout personally.

If there is live BGA after you remove the cover on the 3rd day, you did
something wrong.

Regards,
Tom Barr

  www.BarrReport.com