[APD] BGA outbreak

I recently decided to make the leap into slightly higher light and CO2.
Since doing so, I've had a steady BGA outbreak and from what I can tell, it
is light based.  I'm making this judgment because there are a few plants
that tend to shadow the soil and the BGA doesn't grow in the shadow.

I just purchased a Powerhead and I'm using a DIY yeast CO2 generator.  The
output of the DIY sends C02 into an airstone that sits inside the input tube
on the Powerhead.  All of this seems to work well and some of the plants
look nice.  Their growth is amazing.

Unfortunately, the BGA is covering every flat surface that has light.
Further, I have sandy soil, so the slime tends to create sheets that hold in
some of the top sand.  Cleaning it up is a pain and all I really end up
doing is spreading it around.

My stats are as follows (based on 2 strip test kits and a specific pH kit):

NO2:     <20ppm and 0  (2 separate tests)

NO3:     0ppm

GH:      150ppm

KH:       120-180ppm

Hardness:         120ppm  (I'm not sure which this measures, KH or GH)

pH:       7.2-7.6, 7.6-7.8, 7.2-7.8  (The first reading is from a liquid
test kit)

Light:    Fluorescents, 30W over a 20gallon tank = 1.5 W/gal

I'm pretty sure that I'm missing nutrients, so I've ordered 1lb of Potassium
Phosphate and 1lb of Potassium Nitrate from Greg Watson (thanks Greg!).  It
won't be here for a week or so, but I'm looking for some reassurance that
I'm not wasting my time with the nutrients.

Any advice, chastisement, or outright abuse will be welcomed :-)

Sean Flanagan

ScanIAm at nettally_com