Re: [APD] Sudden Thread Algae Outbreak

Vaughn Hopkins wrote:
> Gordon, it looks to me like you are under fertilizing, and your CO2
> isn't high enough.  You didn't give us your KH reading, so the CO2 ppm
> isn't given.  You have a very high light tank, so you need to provide
> high nutrients too.  You need about 10-20 ppm nitrates, 1-2 ppm
> phosphates, 30+ppm CO2, traces, adequate calcium and magnesium, etc.

That was the hardest thing for me. It's surprising how strongly your
mind will resist the idea of *adding* nitrates and phosphates - things
you have been told to get rid of for years. After I finally decided it
couldn't do anything worse than increase the size of the algae, I tried
it. Then the algae went away.

--
Jerry Baker