Re: [APD] CO2 and pH control

Robert  wrote:

With that I strongly agree. Fish do not "read" pH.  Fish are sensitive to,
and respond to,
the osmotic pressure of the water.  Changes in pH from less or more CO2 have
trivial effects
on the osmolarity of the water in relation to the same pH effect resulting
from added bicarb
of phosphate "buffers", so have correspondingly little effect on the fish.
Hobbyists get
frantic over pH differences without considering why the pH is different.  If
it is because the
tap water is loaded with dissolved gases, including CO2, that is not going
to harm the fish
from the pH as such (although the gases themselves may present different
issues as they come
out of solution).  Certain ions (Ca++/Mg++) may have negative effects on the
egg membranes of
blackwater fish, but their effect on the fish is trivial.  Those ions, not
the pH of the water,
are the real issues there.

Never said osmotic effects couldn't kill fish as well. Common sense says
there are more factors affecting fish than just pH. I have only stated that
a knowledge of the relationship between pH and ammonia can aid the aquarist
in time of emergency. To say pH is inconsequential to fish or not a factor
is irresponsible.

This is part where and how myths arise.  I do believe someone said something
beautifully apt about
"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...".  When you consider the
"normal" concentrations of
ammonia in our tanks, and the total pH swing possible/likely in our tanks,
being concerned about
the proportions between ammonia and ammonium ion is akin to being concerned
that a meteorite is
going to take out your skylight and the tank beneath. There are many far
more meaningful concerns.

>From my previous post:

I personally am not paranoid about pH and ammonia, but to dismiss it as
something trivial and unworthy of concern is irresponsible, IMO. A knowledge
of the relationship is just part of a good fish owner's knowledge base that
can help in the event of an emergency. If you experience an ammonia spike,
lower the pH of the tank. This reduces the amount of poisonous NH3 that can
kill your fish.

Keep the info in your hat and retrieve when needed, basically.

Regards,
Dave