Re: [APD] KH with no CO2

Vaughn Hopkins wrote:
> Thank you Scott, Liz and Dave.  I'm still puzzled by the rate at which
> the KH drops.  Yesterday I added about a half teaspoon of baking soda,
> waited an hour and the KH was about 3 degrees.  This morning it was
> barely 1 degree.  So, I added another half teaspoon of baking soda.  I
> dissolve the baking soda in a little water before adding it.  I would
> swear the plants are consuming the bicarbonate ions.  And, the lack of
> CO2 is starting to catch up with me - a bit of green hairlike algae has
> started on the microswords.  I should have the CO2 going in a day or
> two though.  So, I will plan to remove all the algae I see when I do
> the water change Sunday.  I feel like a mad scientist doing all of this

I was under the impression that only Vallisneria were able to "crack"
bicarbonate ions to any significant degree. One way you could check is
to add some bicarbonate right at lights out and then measure it at
lights on, and then measure again at lights out. If the bicarbonate only
declines during the photoperiod it would seem likely that the plants
were responsible.

--
Jerry Baker