Re: [APD] CO2 and pH control

David Grim wrote:
> "changes in pH are a common cause of fish fatalities. Fish can adapt to most
> pH levels, if not broadly out of range, but they can't adapt to bouncing
> levels........Keep in mind to change it [pH} slowly as it causes a lot of
> stress to your fish."

I have always heard this, but I have to admit I have never seen an
explanation. I understand the ammonia toxicity, and the effects on
nitrifying bacteria (which don't matter in a planted tank anyway), but I
don't understand why the fish should care until it becomes so acidic or
caustic that it is causing burns or tissue damage.

--
Jerry Baker