Re: [APD] CO2 and pH control

Gordon wrote:

Thanks again for the practical suggestions David. I think I'll start by
bypassing my trickle tower, an easy change, and see what happens. I'll
report back on my findings.

I'm sure you will see improvement doing that. Besides the waster cascading
down the prefilter plumbing, if you can imagine the increase in surface area
of the water when it hits and runs over the the bioballs, it must increase
in surface area tenfold (guess). We use bioballs in CO2 reactors to break up
and increase the surface area of CO2 bubbles under water for better
absorption, so if we use them to break up the surface area of water in an
oxygen rich environment, I would reason that dissolved gasses would leave at
a faster rate.

I'm a little reluctant to give up my sump
entirely as I have an auto evap control system there.

I'm with you. I am so spoiled by my water changer. Makes it possible to have
more tanks!

I would urge you to try an in tank CO2 Diffuser, however. These are not
expensive. That might be the single most significant improvement in pH
control you will see if you are keeping your wet/dry as is, even with
removing the bioballs. The Dupla diffuser puts out pinpoint sized bubbles
from the getgo, and it is small in size. Only costs about $29.

Another area of your system you may want to check is how fast is your return
pump sending water back to the tank? The higher the flow rate the more gas I
seemed to lose. After removing the bioballs, you may want to play with
keeping everything constant and decreasing the return rate to the lowest
flow that is still adequate for the tank. See if that lowers the pH some.
The higher the return rate, the more surface turbulence, the more
offgassing.

I can only think you probably have a fairly powerful return pump with your
need to pump to a minimum 15' or so head height from your basement. You may
already have the output side of the pump ball valved since you are a Reefer
as well. Reefs like high flow rates, whereas planted tanks don't, and really
need decent circulation with a calm surface.

Regards,
Dave

Another thing you can do that I failed to mention is to