Re: [APD] CO2 and pH control

David,
    I really appreciate your taking the time to provide such a thorough
response to my question.

    Yes, you are correct in assuming that this was once a reef tank. And
you're also correct that my filtration system is probably overkill for a
29 gallon tank, but I like to tinker - what can I say? The filter is a
modified RDP filter with a bioball tower added (no current RDP
fiunction) There is a 3 gallon glass chamber filled with Dupla bioballs
beneath a perforated drip plate covered with poly fibre quilt batting as
a coarse filter all sitting on top of the sump. The tower has a tight
fitting lid. I debated adding the trickle chamber but after reading
George Booth's articles on the subject, concluded that trickle filters
were not a significant source of CO2 offgassing, although I'm guessing
that's a debatable pointn.

    The tank upstairs has a corner overflow and because of its location
(built into a living room wall) I don't have many options besides the
remote filter. I could remove the tower and just use the sump but I
would still have the waterfall effect in the piping.

    The tank is covered with a home made cover with 2 PC bulbs suspended
2 inches above the water. The ends of the cover are open for ventilation
so I would consider it an open top tank.

    HOB filters are not an option nor are canisters unless they are used
at the sump.

    The SMS122 controller is new and I calibrated it to 7.2 upon setup a
week or so ago. The reading correlates with chemical pH tests so I'm
confident in its accuracy.

    Regarding the AAS atomizer, it's really just a misting wand for a
drip irrigation system and while it's a handy way to have inline
injection, I question its efficiency. Do you think I could gain anything
with say an external Aqualogic reactor or one of the membrane types or,
with the amount of offgassing it sounds like I have, am I doomed to have
an inefficient CO2 system?

    On the other hand, others have pointed out that if I've got good
plant growth and happy fish, which I have, I should be satisfied and
quit worrying about pH levels. Am I trying to micro-manage too much?

Thanks again for your time,

    Gordon Watkins