Re: [APD] Excess nutrients

Assuming that excess nutrients in a well planted, "balanced" aquarium do not
cause algae, is there a tipping point after which the addition of more
nutrients would cause an algae outbreak?

I am thinking of a healthy but lightly planted tank with low nutrient levels
(say, 5 ppm of NO3 and .5 ppm of PO4) and no algae.  If the nutrients were
suddenly increased to, say, 50 ppm and 5 ppm and maintained at that level,
do you think an algae outbreak would occur?

My guess is yes, but maybe the plant biomass would expand on the presence of
the additional nutrients and, eventually, the tank would get back into
balance, if there was enough room for the additional plants.

Bill