Re: [APD] Ammonia and Nitrates

You can aerate the heck out of a plantless tank, and if
there are nutrients, algae will love it.

sh

--- Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> Liz Wilhite wrote:
> > I know we've been told that allelopathy isn't at play
> but if the plants
> > themselves are not putting out chemicals that are
> suppressing algae, then
> > how can we account for the fact that the aquarium with
> plants doesn't grow
> > algae at the rate of the tank without plants with the
> same level of
> > nutritents?
>
> I wonder if it's the O2 levels created by the plants?
> There has been a
> lot of speculation that algal cells are more susceptible
> to oxidation
> than other cells (the whole peroxide/algae thing).
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/