Re: [APD] woes with walsted type tank

I believe the relevent component in Excel is
polycycloglutaracetal, which is an organic molecule, in the
strict sense to which organic chemists subscribe, and
therefore comprises carbon in its molecules.

Nice piece on the Excel process in this APD thread if one
follows it through. Btw, that thread also demonstrates how
well I can be awash in mystery (or what others might
describe as "state of persistent unknowing." ;-):

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200206/msg00204.html

Get glutaral, get happy,
sh

--- Robert H <robertph3 at comcast_net> wrote:

> RTR wrote
> >>If the effort was to say that Excel is worthless as an
> alternate carbon
> source, that would be false.  I don't believe that anyone
> here believes
> Excel is "injecting CO2", and Seachem certainly does not
> stake that claim.
> But it certainly is a useful carbon source for me for
> moderate growth
> planted tanks which would otherwise be carbon limited and
> where CO2
> injection is either not desired of not effective for any
> of several
> reasons.<<
>
> Hey Robert, havn't talked to you in a long time! No, I
> didn't mean it is not
> a alternative source or that it doesn't have merit, (that
> is another
> conversation), but it is not C02, it is not even carbon
> as I understand it.
> It provides chemicals that plants derive from carbon. To
> say you are running
> an injected C02 system using Excel is misleading.  Is
> Excel low tech?   It
> does not fall under the Walstad method, but I would not
> call it high tech
> either. Providing actual carbon does have a much more
> dramatic affect on
> plants.   20 to 30ppm of C02 will give you a growth rate
> that Excel will
> never match.   Fermentation C02 systems will give you
> better results.

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/