I should have said it better. If you add a lot of nitrates
to an aquarium, you can get algae really cookin'. Now is
that because the nitrate directdly is feeding the algae or
because, say, it's reduce the amoount of ammonia that
getting converted, or because its helping the plants to use
phosphates so fast that the phosphates are in relatively
short supply, or some other set of processes? Dunno. I just
know that I can dump it in and develop problems and cut
back and lose the problems. And that's what most folks wnat
ot know, do I dump it in and if so how much.

I remember reading Tom Barr talking about nitrates spurring
algae growth. Your position has changed again, that's fine.
Mine hasn't. Mine is that it's a good guideline to aim for
about 10 ppm and then fine tune from there by watching the
plants, watching the tank.

sh

--- Thomas Barr <tcbiii at yahoo_com> wrote:

> So Scott, how much excess NO3 causes algae?
>
>   I wanna know.........because I've never been able to do
> it

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/