Re: [APD] Tom Barr's Estimative Index

--- Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:35:08 -0000, S. Hieber
> <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:
>
> > Tom out of the mainstream? You might be in the wrong
> stream
> > ;-) His article basically lays out moderately strong
> dosing
> > to ensure you have enough to keep the plants happy if
> not
> > downright giddy, which is then kept in check by large
> water
> > changes.
>
> The UK magazine Practical Fishkeeping is currently
> running a series of articles on planted tanks. They say
> that for a healthy planted tank everything must 'in
> balance', and they have just had a section on algae,
> which says that excessive nitrate and phosphate cause
> algae. I do wish some people would keep up... (shakes
> head in mild anger at stupidity of magazine writers)
>
> I think Tom probably is out of the mainstream, at least
> here in the UK (Europe maybe?). Of course, it is the
> 'right' stream...

If you put in enough nitrate, you can get lots of algae. If
you avoid nitrate, you'll get algae. I don't think anyone
disagrees with that general point. How much of each of the
nutrients does the Practical Fishkeeping series recommend
for planted aquaria?

I wonder jsut what the diffs, if any boil down to.

sh

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/