Re: [APD] Senator Craig

Stuart Halliday wrote:
> It's not relevant on this list and IMHO the Moderator should be nipping this
> sort of thing in the bud.

While this particular topic is not relevant to the group, dismissing
politics in general as irrelevant is about as apathetic as you can get
IMHO. What if someone passed a law prohibiting CO2 cannisters in private
homes, or limiting access to certain fertilizers, etc.? Should we not
discuss those issues due to their political nature? When political
discussion devolve into bickering and name-calling, it's generally not
productive, but to say that political discussions in general have no
place in this group seems like defeating the purpose of the group in
general (unless the group is supposed to be limited to the exchange of
empirical data).

Some people complain about the inconvenience they experience when a
political discussion takes place, but perhaps it should be noted that
coercively muting other people's conversations for one's own personal
convenience sure doesn't seem like the "right" thing to do. It seems to
me that the proper thing to do is prohibit flame wars, obvious trolling,
personal insults, etc. It would be sad if the APD had to live under some
sort of tyrannical checklist of pre-approved topics of discussion.

--
Jerry Baker