Re: [APD] Tom Barr's Estimative Index

Andrew McLeod wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:35:08 -0000, S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:
>
>> Tom out of the mainstream? You might be in the wrong stream ;-) His
>> article basically lays out moderately strong dosing to ensure you have
>> enough to keep the plants happy if not downright giddy, which is then
>> kept in check by large water changes.
>
> The UK magazine Practical Fishkeeping is currently running a series of
> articles on planted tanks. They say that for a healthy planted tank
> everything must 'in balance', and they have just had a section on algae,
> which says that excessive nitrate and phosphate cause algae. I do wish
> some people would keep up... (shakes head in mild anger at stupidity of
> magazine writers)

I read PFK on sub. Didn't really tell me much.

Quite often you'd read in one issue about something like 'adding fish - add
some aquarium water ever 20mins into the bag' other authors of PFK will say
this is not necessary as Osmotic changes take days.

This lack of uniformed advice is down to the Editor.
So doesn't surprise me that Karen the Editor doesn't seem to know what's the
latest technique on raising plants.

Tom should write in and ask to write an article for them.

The Estimative Index - What is it? is at:
http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

--
Stuart Halliday