Re: [APD] Odnos (2)

I think your difficulty with understanding why GFCIs work
as they do is that you are not thinking of them as several
diff things all in one package. They are a bundle of items,
include a pair of plug receptacles and wire terminals, an
energizing coil, a trip switch, a sensor coil, voltage
comparator, and a shorting circuit for testing purposes.

Lay these out and you can develop more possibilities than
you've imagined so far.

sh
--- Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> Vaughn Hopkins wrote:
> > Look at the GFCI as a relay-type device.  When it is
> wired as yours is,
> > the wires that appear to be just parallel wires to the
> next socket are
> > really "downstream" of the relay.  So, when that relay
> trips, it opens
> > the circuit for the GFCI outlets as well as the circuit
> leading to the
> > next socket in the parallel string.  It really isn't
> just an isolated
> > device in parallel with other sockets.
>
> Can you tell I'm not an electrician yet? ;)
>
> If there are other devices downstream, doesn't that mean
> the circuit is
> not parallel? That's always been my understanding of the
> definitions of
> series and parallel circuits. Namely that a parallel
> circuit has more
> than one pathway so that cutting the power at one node
> doesn't cut the
> power at the other nodes.

Opening both barrels at once:

The Grand Opening

You can find the winners and all the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest here:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

And the other Opening:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/