> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:29:28 -0500
> From: Eli Moss <mossy173 at gmail_com>
> Subject: [APD] massachusetts laws
> To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>
> Well, apparently such fast-growing plants as anachris and vallisneria are
> now illegal to buy in Massachusetts. What am I to do now? Do I have any
> way
> of getting some anachris? I'm trying to control nutrients in my planted
> tank, and I'm fairly sure every plant that would be useful for this
> purpose
> is now outlawed. Very frustrating.
>
> -Eli Moss
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:23:39 -0500
> From: David Terrell <Dave at TerrellClan_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] massachusetts laws
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Holy moly!  I live in South Hadley and am in Amherst very often because
> I'm a (non-traditional) student at UMass ;-)  I don't have any of what
> you need now, but I'll keep it in mind when I might...
> Incidentally, do you know of any good, hard-to-find lhs places around
> here?  The only one I've found is Petco, and the other was rather skimpy
>  on anything aquarium related.
>
> -Dave
>

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:08:58 -0500
> From: Eli Moss <mossy173 at gmail_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] massachusetts laws
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

> And this is where the conversation loses general relevance. Oh, well. Good
> to know you!
>
> As for the hard-to-find places, the best around here is Exotic Fish and
> Pet
> World. They have a wonderful selection of fish, although their plant
> selection has just this last week been decimated by the new laws. Good
> prices, incredibly knowledgeable staff, and they have useful things like
> iron test kits and such. They're in the Barn shops (I think they're
> called)
> in a strip mall kinda thing across from the saturn dealership near the RMV
> in south hadley. About a mile or two down Route 9 past the RMV going
> towards
> Northampton and you should see the dealership on your right and a big sign
> for the shops on your left. The store is on the far end of the huge
> parking
> lot. Their number is 413-586-3362.
>
> A less helpful but still handy spot is Dave's Soda and Pet Food city (a
> strange combination, I know). They're located in the huge strip mall right
> next to the hampshire mall, tucked between Whole Foods and Sleepy's (a
> mattress store). This strip mall is on the towards-Northampton side of
> South
> Maple St, just off of Route 9. Their number is 413-732-2275.
>
> I don't know how comprehensible my directions are; I've only been driving
> [...]

Eli and Dave,

Allow me to introduce you to the New England Aquatic Plant Society:)
www.ne-aquaticplants.com  We are a small but growing group of local
aquarists in the New England area.  As of now most of our members are from
the Pioneer Valley from Harford to Greenfield.  I personally live in
Easthampton and would be happy to share some plants with you, in a few
weeks.  Give me some time to let my new tank settle in and the fast growers
to grow out.  Please check out our website or email me personally to learn
more.

As for local places, Exotic is good (and please tell them next time you are
there that you read about them on the net.  I have been trying very hard to
get them to help support our group in some way)  Another good place and one
that NEAPS is affiliated with is Fish Frenzy, Main St. Indian Orchard.
1-413-732-722, Ed owns the joint and is a real good guy.  Tell him I sent
you.  The next meeting for NEAPS is Nov15th at one of our members house's.
There will be a talk regarding nano tanks.  More info about this is
available at the website.  You are welcome to stop by my place and check out
my tanks, trade plants or get trimmings.  Monday evenings and weekends are
best.  Email me off list about that:)

To be perfectly honest, I am really trying to find others local to me, with
in 30 monutes or less.  I to will be a non-traditional student starting at
UMass this spring (envoromental sciences) so finding others I won't have to
drive far to see would be a great thing.

Hope to see you both soon!

Dennis Dietz
President, NEAPS