From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
Sent: Nov 3, 2005 11:40 AM
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Subject: Re: [APD] Science

urville wrote:
> Okay I did make the discovery so I dont know the tech behind it. But it seems to me that plants overall take in co2 better in gas form.

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid when I challenge Tom's theory.
It is extremely unlikely that bubbles contain significant levels of
carbon dioxide after a few seconds in the tank. I do not challenge that
you see better growth using this method, but it is unlikely due to
gaseous CO2. It would be a setback to the hobby if we accepted that
theory and it weren't true.

Some might think, "big deal if it's not true ... it still works," but
consider the consequences. The natural conclusion, then, is to find more
ways to introduce more gaseous CO2 to submerged plants. What a wasted
effort it would be if it were wrong. My position is that it is easier,
and more prudent, to investigate the cause before making assumptions.
That way we can find out what is really going on and see if there are
ways to improve the mechanisms at work even more.

--
Jerry Baker