Re: [APD] Tank Stands

Jerry wrote:
Message: 5
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:28:10 -0800
From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
Subject: Re: [APD] Painted tank stand
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

I was prepared to pay for "real" wood work, but I couldn't find anyone.
With the price of stands, they should be a lot better than they are.
This things is really only worth about $250, but it cost *way* more than
that.

--
Jerry Baker

Isn't that the truth! The price of these cheapo black lacquered pine stands
by All-Glass or even their "higher end" Oceanic cherry stained oak plywood
stands they try to pass off as fine furniture is absurd.

An All-Glass lacquered pine stand for a 75 gallon tank costs $300 around
here, more than the tank. This is basic furniture construction if I've ever
seen it. Oceanic Cherry stands for a 135 gallon can be $900-$1000. I have a
Marineland/Perfecto Reef Ready 265 gallon tank that sits onone ofthese pine
stands and I don't know how it stays up. I suppose a big factor in making
these stands is distributing the 500 lb. dry weight of the tank and the 2200
lbs. of water.

The convenience of having it right there in the store built to size, and the
fact that warranties are often tied to having it on one of their stands is
the main reason to buy one, I guess.

Regards,
Dave