Re: [APD] Painted tank stand

It is one of my favorite woods to work.

Whther or not coloring with stain is judicious depends on
what effect one is aiming for -- and it depends on the
particular cherry wood one is working with -- different
trees will promise better coloring with age (actually its
the exposure to UV that colors and darkens cherry with
age). Some will not color as well with age. Much of the
cherry furninture I've built has no stain, but some of it
does.

If done correctly, the application of a high quality
thixotrpic stain need not disguise the figure of the wood
nor, once a film finish has been applied properly applied
and rubbed to a suitable luster, mute the depth or rich
variety in the often whacky grain that cherry exhibits.

One method is to apply a spit coat of super blonde shellac
to the wood to "pop" the grain, then thinly stain the
surface, then apply a high quality film finish, rubbing it
down between coats to remove any imperfections, then hand
rubbing and polishing the final coat to the desired sheen.

Certainly, running down to home depot for a can of minwax
and then slathering it with a wipe-on "oil" finish (which
often are just phenolic and urethane finishes exceedingly
thinned with mineral spirits and not oil entriely or
sometimes at all) will produce less than optimal results
except for those less discerning about color, figure,
depth, and sheen.

As for my being shot, well, you'll have to get in line --
this week the line runs down the block and wraps around the
corner. Did you take a number?

sh