Re: [APD] Plus points

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:05:39 +0100, Stuart Halliday <stuart at stuarthalliday_com> wrote:

> I'm amazed at the stupid sod.
> What happened to its fuse?
> 150W at 12V is 12.5A
> 200W at 12V is 20A
> So the fuse should have blown.
>
> I use low voltage (12V) lighting in my home in Scotland and I use a fuse to protect against the
> current limit being exceeded so the danger of the plastic melting can't happen.
>
> Plus power supplies sold in the UK made to CE regulations (look for the bold CE letters on the
> power supply) limit the current. So that when the current flows too greatly the voltage level drops
> so the current stays within the safely limit.
> Therefore there should be no melting plastic if the manufacturer has used the correctly rated cable.
> He's used or was given the wrong power supply.
> If he is to blame, shout at him, if the P/S is to blame contact the trader! Quick!

It was bits and pieces from a low voltage bathroom kit and DIY stores.
A very good reason not to DIY electrics unless you know what you are doing... :p (true in this case for 240V, not true for 12V)
As for fuses, it was wired onto the most handy bit of ring-main, so would only have had anything in the consumer unit and the transformer... cable was definitely too lightweight! :o
There was much shouting...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.