Re: [APD] Goldfish bowls, etc.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:28:19 +0100, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> I have yet to see a reasonably convincing logical argument that humans
> are any different in any meaningful way than any other mammal. All the
> arguments I have heard to date rest in some way on religious, and
> usually Biblical, interpretations of the world - which are not logical,
> but emotional. But, even those arguments rest on a lot of
> presuppositions and conjecture.

Easy.
Humans have the intelligence to:
a) Have the implications of their actions communicated to them.
b) Make fully informed decisions on such things.
c) Communicate that they are fully informed on whatever thing is under discussion, and make a choice on that basis.

Regardless of whether animals are intelligent enough to understand, or to decide, they lack the communication skills to have it communicated to them or to indicate acceptance.
When you dye fish, they are unable to make an informed choice. In fact they are unable to make any choice.

This obviously does not include children, which explains why I, like most of the rest of the world, do not support non-medically required circumcision (which, by the way, is very rare - despite an awful lot of bad diagnosis). The US's 'obsession' with circumcision is quite alien to us here in the UK, and I think most of Europe... In Britain, you cannot get circumcision done on the NHS unless medically indicated - the doctors will simply refuse (since it has dangers, albeit rare, and has NO medical benefits).

AND, even supposing that dolphins etc. were secretly intelligent enough to understand all this, by failing to indicate their understanding and acceptance, they have not chosen to respond, so you must assume they have not chosen...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.