Re: [APD] Soil Screens

Jerry

I have made my own screens using galvanized woven wire cloth of various mesh
sizes. Make a bottomless and topless box out of 1x6 pine, cut the cloth to
fit and then nail strips of 1/4 inch plywood onto the bottom to hold the
cloth in place. I finish mine with boiled linseed oil and let it dry for a
day or so. I have screened all of the substrate in my present tanks with
these screens and have not experianced any problems with any zinc which
could have been abraded by the screening process.

If you want stainless steel go to McMaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com. They
sell 304 and 316 stainless as well as a number of other alloys. Catalog #
85385t818. Search for this and you will be in the section of wire cloth.
Pick your size and alloy.

They also sell the seives but they are very expensive compared to making
your own. A 12 inch dia by 4 inch deep sieve in the size range we would want
in brass costs $108.92. They have Galvanized steel wire-cloth Riddles with
plywood sides for about $30.00 Catalog #3285k35 or polyethylene frames cat.
# 3415k17 for $45.00. My homemade ones work great.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ