[APD] Atypical Algae Problem

I'm having a terrible algae problem and was hoping you all could help me
with it.
My algae is turning brown. :(    Seriously !

In my darter tank, I have a couple of large, flat rocks near a powerhead.
When I first put them in there, they had short tufts of greenish algae on
them.  Under the light of the tank, this algae has grown quite long, and
turned bright green -- and I like it!  It looks really, really nice and
gives the fish a nice substrate to play in (plus, some of them will spawn in
it).

Now, though, its starting to turn from the bright green colour to a darker
green, almost brown shade.  I haven't changed anything... I do regular large
water changes, so I can't imagine its using up some nutrient in the water.
Anyone have any ideas on helping it turn back green?  The only possible
difference between "now" and then is that the tank should be cycled by now.
. . . Is this likely teh contributor, and if so, what can I do, short of
adding ammonia? :)
--
end
  ____^___
><,DARWIN,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
Native Fish Conservancy Lists Administrator                    JLW at dune_net
AIM UID: JoshuaWiegert                                                Yahoo:
JLW_DUNE_NET
                             HTTP://WWW.NATIVEFISH.ORG/JWiegert/index.html
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.