> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:27:06 -0700
> From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Way OT - To George
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Bob_Ashcraft at L-3com.com wrote:
> > Because that's where the oil pump is.
>
> Yes, but why? I guess it seems strange to me because I grew up with
> friends who worked on small block Ford motors mainly. It always seemed
> to be a much larger pain to pull the distributor on a Chevy than a Ford
> (if you ignore the tendency on Fords for the oil pump shaft to lift out
> of the oil pump and then fall out of the distributor and fall down into
> the oil pan - there's a little clip [a Tinnerman retainer], but that
> always slides down and allows the event to occur anyway).
>
> So, where's the distributor on a E. bleheri?
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

Well, common sense dictates that under acceleration, the oil wants to be
in the rear of the pan, so what better place for the oil pump.  On the
other hand, since the camshaft is driven from the front, common sense also
dictates that the distributor and oil pump should be driven from the front
of the cam.  Chevy's had a problem with the cam twisting, especially when
a high volume/pressure oil pump was used, causing erratic spark timing.

When I was much younger, my brother and I both had big block Mustangs.  I
ran a tunnel port 427 while he had a 429 SCJ.  The Chevy's really didn't
have a chance.

BTW, a E. bleheri may use a crank triggered system, with a small coil
attached to each spark plug.

Bob Ashcraft