Re: [APD] Hell Froze over-Redox probes and gas bubbles

Tom

I posted about a week ago wondering how you can measure the ORP in the
substrate without getting any interference with the overlying water. This is
just my curiosity, I'm not intending to measure the substrate ORP like you
are. I am very interested in this data collection you are planning.

On a related note:

Preliminaries-I have an African cichlid setup in my home using Onyx Sand and
Carib Sea African Cichlid substrate. I think the tank is about 1 1/2 years
old or less. Lace rock for caves. I am growing C. spiralis, Hornwort,
Duckweed, Hygro. polysperma and I think corymbosa. I use K2SO4, KH2PO4, and
KNO3 plus traces and Excel weekly. I use Seachem substrate fertilizer tabs
every 3 months as well. Plants are doing great, no algae. I change the water
infrequently(maybe 50 % monthly), 38 gallons, 2 wpg, 12 hrs/day. HOB filter
using foam block and a power head- an old Supreme Aquamaster I retrofitted.

Question: When I stir up the gravel I get a lot of bubbles coming out of the
substrate. I smelled at the water surface and could not detect any H2S
odor-rotten eggs. I stirred up the substrate and vacuumed about 4 months
ago. Do you have any guesses as to what this gas is? The roots of the C.
spiralis are being dug up by a pair of N. lelupi that have spawning
intentions. The roots look great and no evidence of any blackness in the
substrate. I used mulm in the substrate as you have suggested when I set
this tank up.

Thanks,
Jerry Smith, Bloomingdale, NJ